This might be controversial but I’m going to say it….
Today I had a great conversation on Twitter with a few people regarding Catholicism and some not so great. I didn’t / don’t understand why some (not all) believe Jesus is more present when you call on his mother Mother. Let me just state I don’t believe this in the slightest I believe Jesus is always there as is God and the Holy Spirit you don’t need to ask his mum for him to come visit you…. I can just hear the keyboard warriors bashing the brains out of there word generators now so before you go all angry on me let me state my reasons.
1. Jesus is always with us no matter where we go as is God and the Holy spirit. The Bible teaches this and that God is omnipresent, omnipotent as is the trinity.
2. Jesus said,
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” John 14:6
I don’t believe we need anyone else but Jesus, we don’t need Mary, or any other saint, priest or minister to intercede for us with God. For this was the purpose of the cross Jesus died so we could be reconciled with God and have a relationship with him as he intercedes for us with God. He’s our Redeemer our Saviour. When Jesus died the curtains fell in the temple and tore in 2. This symbolised the need for us to ask high priests to pray for our forgiveness we no more, meaning we only need to confess to God in Jesus name and he is just to forgive us our sins. In fact Jesus taught us how to pray that’s where the Lords prayer comes from, he never mentioned Mary.
3. Why do priests see it their job to tell people when they are forgiven? With all due respect the death of Christ was the the price for our sins, if we have a relationship with Jesus and he is in our hearts and we humbly and sincerely repent we forgiven through God’s grace, no one else can forgive you.
4. Praying to Mary seems to me like idolatry (unless this can be explained to me in any other terms than it already has been) I will continue to feel this way as yes Mary was blessed to bear the son of God and Jesus surely loved his mother but he never told us to pray to Mary so he would be even more present – Jesus said,
“For where two or three gather in MY name, there am I with them.” Matthew 18:20
He never mentioned his mother, he said His name. Having images of Mary seems to me that she is worshipped which is idolatry.
5. Believing in purgatory to me seems that you believe God can’t make up his mind about his final judgement thus contradicting all he teaches within the Bible about God being almighty, all knowing and that grace does not apply because by going to purgatory it means you can work your way to heaven which no one can go to Heaven by works, it’s by the gift of grace we go as we are sinful humans who can never deserve what Jesus did for us upon that cross.
6. The worshipping and praising of saints and praying to them for healing amongst other things is again undermining the power of God. Why would we pray to other people/things?
I didn’t write this to be judgemental or argumentative unfortunately the hate I have received on Twitter is nuts and it’s hard to explain in 140 characters. So this is my reasons for what I believe.
I must say if you are a Christian and you have Jesus in your life then we are all a member of the body of Christ and we should be brothers and sisters in faith. Too many denominations these days worshipping the same God and knowing Jesus as their Saviour but argue over trivial matters. We worship the same God so let’s do what Jesus wants us to do and love each other united together in Christ.
Grow with God your own personal relationship and experience it. Never be influenced by anyone else. Follow the Bible for your answers, believe in Jesus, pray to God and let your light shine. If it contradicts scripture it’s not of God.
PS- no keyboards were harmed in the making of this post.